Tuesday, March 29, 2011

ONE GIRL’S FOOTPRINT: A marketing experiment to celebrate a milestone and individual acts of kindness -

Wow! What a first day. Last night I launched a massive social marketing experiment. Here is the text from my About This Idea page that I hope will entice readers to participate. I'll keep you posted on my progress or follow along using the Home Page.

I am turning 40 on July 29. [Insert big breath sound]. Indeed, it is a milestone and one that has created cause for much reflection on what I’ve accomplished to date and what there is left to do. What will define the next 40 years of my life and beyond? How do I want to be remembered by others ultimately and what impact can I have on the world? Big philosophical thoughts with an unlikely success rate if thought of in these terms.

Redefine. I’m not looking to be Mother Theresa. I am, however, curious about the impact one person of modest means and an average size network can have on society. I would like to prove the impact that day-to-day small acts of kindness can have not just on a person, community or city, but on the world. Still lofty, but more realistic.

Solution. As people ask how they can help in celebrating this milestone, my answer is for them to do an act of kindness and record their action on this website. Capturing how many people, how many countries and how many acts of kindness will measure the project’s success.

Like all measurement, you need to start with a definition of success. Hmm. What are my SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely)? In 4 months, reach over 4,000 people, in 4 countries, influencing a minimum of 4,000 acts of kindness. Get the 4 theme in for my 40th…. ? Well, the Attainable and Realistic part is questionable but let’s give it a try.

I hope you’ll participate in this birthday wish and be part of this crazy experiment and journey with me.

PS - For more of my marketing thoughts and comments, visit My Perspective PPS - A shameless plug for Brown & Cohen Communications & Public Affairs Inc. if you are looking for a great PR firm
PPPS - Feel free to leave a comment about this experiment or a birthday wish in the comment section below

No comments: