Monday, December 1, 2008
Using Contests to Increase Clicks
Fern Stancer: You are my contest saviour!
Thinking up an idea for a contest to draw traffic to a website is easy. Ensuring it runs smoothly and is strategic from a viral marketing perspective is something else.
This is what Fern taught me:
- Look for every opportunity you can to promote your message within the contest.
- Get used to the word “flow”. Make sure the participant’s experience is easy and makes good strategic sense.
- Look for ways to get additional information about your target market, such as a survey, as part of the entry process.
- Make sure all rules and prizing information is drafted by a dedicated contest lawyer (you wouldn’t go to an eye doctor for your heart would you?).
- Identify ways to increase the viral nature of the contest – what built-in mechanism will there be to ensure participants tell everyone they know about this?
- Leave A LOT of days for testing. Make sure it works. Then try to break the system.
Thanks Fern! Check out www.getcentred.com to see our contest. Fern can answer your contest questions at email@example.com.